A UNIQUE SWEETENER
Natural Thaumatin is extracted from the fruits of Thaumatococcus Daniellii, a fruit found in the deep forests of West Africa in particular. The fact that it is about 2000 to 3000 times sweeter than sugar makes it a “miracle fruit”. Moreover, it is a protein and it imparts zero calories which makes its role very relevant in the modern world.
More importantly the Thaumatin we offer is 100% natural & pesticide-free, made with most modern technology of double freeze drying, hitherto unused by any other Thaumatin processor. The fully automated process makes sure that the product is untouched by human hands at any stage of processing,
Thaumatin has huge potency relative to sugar and hence the amount used is almost insignificant. So, it does not provide any measurable caloric value at use levels in foods. As a protein it is metabolised in the same way as any dietary protein.
It is a mixture of two proteins Thaumatin I & Thaumatin II. The molecular weight is about 20,000 daltons. The heat & pH resistance of Thaumatin is unique. Thaumatin has an iso-electric point of 11.5 to 12.5 and is soluble in water. Thaumatin is fairly stable.
- Naturally intense sweetener
- Very stable in freeze-dried form.
- Good solubility in water and aqueous alcohol
- Multi-functional ingredient with benefits to flavours and sweeteners in particular
- Masking properties are effective
- Does not promote tooth decay
- Heat and pH stable
- Synergistic when combined with in combination with other low-calorie sweeteners
- Adds mouth-feel
- Ideal for use by diabetics
Thaumatin can be used as a sweetener, a taste-modifier, a flavour enhancer or a masking agent depending on the type of application.
Being an intense sweetener and being about 2000 to 3000 times sweeter than sugar Thaumatin can be used at very low levels, even as low as 0.5 ppm. By increasing the flavour, it alternatively reduces the dosage of ingredient in formulations.
Thaumatin has been approved by:
- the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA )(1985)
- the Scientific Committee on Food (SCF) of the European Commission (1988) now the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA),
- Thaumatin is listed in Table III of the Codex General Standard for Food Additives (GSFA). It is permitted for use in food in general, unless otherwise specified, in accordance with GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice).
- Thaumatin is authorized in the EU as a sweetener under Directive 94/35/EC.
- It is also authorized as a flavour enhancer in chewing-gum, beverages and desserts under Directive 95/2/EC.
- Thaumatin is also approved in all applications in Europe as a “flavour preparation” under Directive 88/388/EC.
- Thaumatin is classified as GRAS (Generally Recognised as Safe) by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) in the USA.
With regard to its ADI (Acceptable Daily Intake) there is no limit specified at all for Thaumatin.
Due to its unique properties, Thaumatin finds so many applications in the field of food, cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries.
(With courtesy to the manufacturer’s documentation)
HOW DOES THAUMATIN COMPARE WITH STEVIA?
- Stevia is about 200-300 x sweeter than Sugar. Thaumatin is 10 x sweeter than Stevia
- Stevia leaves a metallic taste in the mouth
- Stevia is not universally accepted. Thaumatin is accepted internationally & is considered GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) in the USA.
- There is specified ADI (Acceptable Daily Intake) for natural sweeteners whereas it is unspecified for Thaumatin
- Thaumatin is a protein & hence is easily digested into the body system